Friday, December 19, 2008

Happy Holidays! Greeting Card by Susie Short


Warmest wishes for a wonderful holiday season!
When I sit down to paint winter cards I usually don't have an exact composition in mind. I like to paint on 4 or 5 at a time and let them evolve as I go. Do I ever mess one up? YES!
But I like to give myself permission to try something new and if it doesn't work try again or do something different.
One of my favorite techniques for starting a winter landscape card is using a plastic card (expired credit or gift card) to "scrape" or "scratch" out the white birch or aspen tree. Then I add the darker bark features and darker evergreen behind the 'scraped trees' to make them stand out.
If you are interested in learning more about this technique you will find instructions on my watercolor tips page on my website. Try it!
For my original cards I use blank greeting cards made for watercolor. Two brands that work well for me are Strathmore Watercolor Cards and Canson Watercolor Greeting Cards. Both come with envelopes in economy packs of 30-50 cards. Enough to goof up a couple and still have plenty of cards to paint on!
Of course you can always use regular watercolor paper and cut it to greeting card size.
If you do try this technique I'd love to hear your comments.
Happy Painting!
SUSIE

No comments: