Monday, March 22, 2010

Oh my! Spring Tulips!

Oh, what a welcome sight! Tulips Blooming!
The calendar says spring has sprung and when you see the tulips starting to pop up it's not hard to imagine that the winter is really behind us and warmer temps are just around the corner. My Tuesday Afternoon Watercolor class got their brushes wet this past week and painted some beautiful tulips from last year's photos. This is a work-in-progress shot of a tulip painting I started as a demo.
Here is a tip for painting red tulips in the sunshine. Paint the tulips yellow first, then glaze the red paint over the bright yellow tulips. You might like the variety of the mixed colors and decide to leave some yellow as you see in the example above. It's not completely finished, but I do like what I see so far!
I can't wait to go to the tulip fields to see them in full bloom this year! It won't be long the daffodils are blooming now and the tulips are not far behind.

5 comments:

LSVoight said...

beautiful!!

Michelle Himes said...

Oh, what beautiful tulips, Susie! I know where there are some daffodils growing, but if I want to paint tulips I have to buy some.

Watercolors by Susan Roper said...

Susie...I am demo-ing a Bird of Paradise that was perfectly backlit in Friday's mentoring session this week. I had thought to do exactly that, paint the translucent petals and leaves with a light yellow first! I've doen that before with backlit things and it always seems to do the trick. Your tulips do look sunny and glowing!

Flower said...

Your tulips are delightful! How large is the work?

Terry Banderas said...

Beautiful painting. All of your work is nice.